Monday 2 July 2012

The Kids Grow! Team

Hi everyone! I'm sure you're wondering who is behind Kids Grow! and what makes us tick. Well, here is your Kids Grow! team for 2012.

Hey hey! My name is Niky! I am a bird lover, a teddy bear collector and kids make me smile. I love to read books under a tree on sunny days, take naps in the sunlight and gardening – everything in the sun basically! I went on an amazing trip last February to New Orleans and got to learn about gardening and sustainable food production at Our School at Blair Grocery. Following that, I really wanted to grow my own food but my mom didn’t agree. The Kids Grow! program was the perfect fit for me since I get to learn basic gardening skills as well as spend time with kids! The more I spend time with the Kids Grow! program the more I love it! I am upset that I will not be able to be around the whole summer to see the garden grow but I will be back in August and be part of the harvesting process! This program has taught me a lot and I hope to grow my own garden next year =)
Did you know: The average meal travels 1500 miles from the farm to the store!
Hi, I'm Tamara and ever since grade five I wanted to save the rainforest. I remember my dad taking me to the Greenpeace office in Toronto to become a member, but I was refused because I was too young. Now I'm directing my passion towards saving our local communities by being an advocate of urban agriculture and helping others see the beauty of growing their own food.

Kids are the future of the environmental movement, and I believe that if we can teach them how to become stewards of sustainability by allowing them to engage in projects like community gardens, then maybe we can remediate some of the earth's problems. Kids Grow! has been an incredible educational experience, not to mention inspiring and fun!

Look forward to seeing you at our next event!

Hello! My name is Anisha and I love real food. Growing fruits, vegetables and herbs, all from tiny seeds, is such a rewarding and tasty experience! I feel that many people living in urban areas have lost their connection to real food and I think that it can be healed through the education of children; the pure wonders of life who are open to learn from everything and everyone. I am passionate about ensuring that children can have access to education about food, gardening and the overall importance of being part of a community despite their financial circumstances. I feel that Kids Grow! is a perfect opportunity to make this happen and I can only hope that the program continues to grow in upcoming years. Even though, it has been a lot of work to get this program up and running, it has been well worth the time to receive so many smiles from the children and much appreciated support from across the city!



No comments:

Post a Comment